Thursday, July 11, 2013

Taking Shape on the outside

This house is being designed .. kind of... from the outside ... in!

I saw a house ... in our neighborhood here in Alaska that is a boring version of what I think we want.

So first I will upload the boring photo.

I like it because the house is on the right. Then the garage, then the car port are on the left.

Then I am going to post photos of the type of "ZING" it needs.



Then... if you refer back to the Unity College Terra House ...
They posted this:

So, We need to block the summer afternoon sun. That is that lower right hand corner of the diagram - so this is a great place for a jutting out spacious porch. The South West Corner of the house is the first bit of the house you see as you pull up. This is the focal point of the home's exterior. It is a form, with a specific function... yet is as awesome as all hell! (here after referred to as "the FOCAL POINT PORCH"


Then, Across the South side you have to have an overhang or awning to block out the summer sun. Check out this diagram...


So across the South side of the house (from the street view this would be down the right side of the house) will be an overhang. I am thinking that visually it would look good if it came off the "focal point porch. - just a skinnier version. Actual math with be required to figure out the best size. Basically I want the heat "off" from May to October. So that is 5 months. We need to calculate the angle of the sun at the half way mark of those 5 months (not summer solstice since its hotter in August than on June 20th.)

So then, along that south side -
where the overhang is functioning to block unwanted sun,
there is also an opportunity to do this outdoor porch patio (see very left side of photo):


It would be a giant thick concrete slab - much like the one UNDER the addition at June's house.
The function would be to reflect winter sun up onto the windows. It also helps the windows lose less heat by being a heat source outside the windows.

Then, visual effect, it would have a railing like the one on the "focal point porch."

The roof line from the "focal Point Porch" would also continue across in front of the garage, and then over to the car port. The whole house would GIVE A FEEL of a wrap around porch. I will see if I can grab a photo of that roof line continuation as an example.
There are some around here.
(after a drive, here is the photo. Just see how the roof line continues from the front porch, across the big garage, and smaller garage. Now picture it going across the front porch, across the garage, and over the car port.
MMM.... and I am thinking the car port will be the length of 2 cars. maybe 2.5. Plenty of storage for Kayaks, bikes, Lawn Mowers, wheel Barrow, all that STUFF.










No comments:

Post a Comment