April 2013: We bought land. We need to plan and prioritize what we want to build on it. This blog is now brain flow of thoughts on the design. Previously: This blog history is full of very detailed info so maybe just skip it if you are the type to cringe and say "Ew. Too Much Info!" In addition to being an information sharing, it is also at times a way for me to cope or vent.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
From HIMSELF
Dave wrote the following to a dear friend that just got the news:
Thanks for the thoughts. Just to give you the whole official story:
Around mid-April I went in for a colonoscopy & they found the cancer. For about a week or so we thought that it had spread to the liver (and that the prognosis wasn't too good) but after a couple of weeks and more MRIs/CAT Scans/PET Scans than you can shake a stick at - the Drs determined it was a stage 2/3 colon/rectum cancer. We "moved" up to MA (with my folks) and have been going to Mass General.
The treatment is pretty standard. 6 weeks of combined chemotherapy & radiation. I'm currently on week three of this stage - the chemo is a constant feed of small amount 24 hours a day, 5 days a week. The radiation is about 15 minutes, M - F. I get off Sat & Sund. After this, there is about 6 weeks of nothing while the radiation continues its work. Then I have to go for surgery to remove the infected area. Then there is another 6 weeks or so of recovery, followed by 4 months of more chemo (only about once every other week). With all this the detailer decided to cancel the orders to Staten Island. I'll be in a temporary support billet still at the Academy while I undergo treatment. I'll be doing work "as tolerated" - right now they've been emailing me paperwork / editing to do up here.
On a personal level - I'm doing pretty good. I'm tolerating the treatment relatively well. I'm having some trouble sleeping at night & have become more tired as the treatment goes along (fatigue is a big side effect). I've also had some quesiness but not so much that I can't eat. I did lose about 10 lbs in the month or so after the diagnosis but have been maintaining since the treatment started.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment